Serving all of Holland, Zeeland,

and the surrounding areas

Tan Vision Logo

What is taxable indoor tanning service?

- Taxable indoor tanning service means a service employing any electronic product designed to incorporate one or more ultraviolet lamps intended for the irradiation of an individual by ultraviolet  radiation, with wavelengths in air between 200 and 400 nanometers, to induce skin tanning.

Frequently Asked Questions

Tan Vision prides itself on providing the best customer service and treating

every customer like family. Your satisfaction is our

number one goal.

You should not tan if you are taking any sun sensitive drugs.  Medications, vitamins, alcohol, cosmetics and even some foods may increase your skins sensitivity to the UV rays.  Consult a physician before using any sun lamp or tanning equipment if you are using any of these products, concerned about food allergies, or have a history of skin problems, sensitive skin or sensitivity to sunlight.


You should consult your doctor if you are pregnant and wanting to tan.   Doctors have opposing views when it comes to tanning beds.  There is no immediate clinical evidence regarding UV exposure and its effects upon expectant mothers. The internet may tell you that tanning indoors is equivalent to tanning in the sun.  It is important that you do not over heat while you are pregnant.


You should always wear protective eyewear!  Failure to do so may result in severe burns or long term injury to the eyes.  Contact lenses should be removed prior to tanning to prevent irritation.


Anyone under the age of 18 years is considered a minor by the state of Michigan.  Therefore, it is required that a parent or legal guardian be present to sign this release form as consent.  Anyone under the age of 14 years must have a parent or legal guardian with them while they are tanning.  Signature by the parent equals an agreement that the minor will wear protective eyewear.

Did you know?

Call us today for full details

on our gift certificates.


Call us today for full details
on our gift certificates.
616-355-7772 Tan Vision - Sun Logo

Is phototherapy service exempt from the indoor tanning services tax?

- It is exempt from the indoor tanning services tax if performed by a licensed medical professional on the medical professional’s premises.

Do indoor tanning services include spray tans or topical creams and lotions purchased at tanning salons?

-  No, the tax does not apply to spray tans or topical creams and lotions.

Who must pay the indoor tanning services tax?

- Indoor tanning service providers are responsible for collecting the tax from the person paying for the service and in some situations, from the person receiving the service.

Who must report the tax to the government?

- The person receiving the payment for the indoor tanning service must report the indoor tanning services tax on and remit the full amount of tax with a timely filed return.

If a customer purchases a gift card for indoor tanning services, pays the tax and does not use the card, is the purchaser entitled to a refund of tax?

- No, there is no provision for refunding the tax once the service for indoor tanning services is purchased.


Yes, indoor tanning lotions and other products we offer do make a difference.

Follow these 6 steps for best results:


 1. Exfoliate before tanning.  Dry skin does not tan well.

 2. Tanning Accelerators are designed for beginner tanners, preparing your skin to tan.

 3. Bronzing lotions are designed for seasoned tanners, darkening your already established tan.

 4. Plateau Breakers maximize your tanning ability, when you feel like you have “plateaued out”.

 5. Moisturizing body washes, keep your skin from drying out.

 6. Moisturizers…essential in keeping your skin healthy so your well earned tan will last.